Welcome to the Product Hunt API 2.0
The goal of this API is to provide access to Product Hunt data via a simple GraphQL interface.
If you have any ideas for improvements or just wanna chat about queries or mutations
let us know on GitHub. Remember to add v2 label to the issue.
Not familiar with GraphQL?
Here are some resources that can help you get started with GraphQL.
- GraphQL home page.
- How To GraphQL - a free and open-source tutorial to learn all around GraphQL to go from zero to production.
There are 3 types of scopes that an application can request on behalf of the user:
- Public : Access public information on Product Hunt.
- Private : Access Product Hunt on behalf of the authenticated user. For e.g application will be able to read goals of the user.
- Write : Take actions on Product Hunt on behalf of the user. For e.g application will be able to mark user's goals as complete/incomplete.
For example, if you are building an application in which you need to know if a user has followed a topic, or commented on a post, you would need to request `public private` scope.
- By default all apps are read-only i.e they have `public` scope.
- As part of API 2.0 we have decided to give partial write access to third party applications depending on the use-case. If your application needs it feel free to get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember you would also need to request `public private write` scope for write functions to work.
- The Product Hunt API must not be used for commercial purposes. If you would like to use it for your business, please contact us at email@example.com.
- The API is reachable at https://api.producthunt.com/v2/api/graphql
- Currently the API is only accessible with a provided access_token.
- We reserve the right to rate-limit any application if we feel you are not following fair-use.
- If you require faster access without rate limit please contact us.
Get started: Getting an OAuth2 token
Get a token on behalf of a user:
- Follow the steps in OAuth User Authentication oauth#authorize to receive an access_grant
- Use the access_grant in oauth#token
- Add the Authentication http header with the token to all requests
- Test this and troubleshoot according to the examples in oauth#test
Get a token without user context. (eg before a user logs in)
- Follow the steps explained in OAuth Client Only Authentication oauth#token
- Please remember that this tokens limit you to public endpoints that don't require user context.
But… i just wanted to run a simple script?
- The oauth2 flow is a bit of a overkill if you just want to run a few scripts
- We provide a developer_token (does not expire, linked to your account) in the app dashboard
May I use the API for my business?
By default the Product Hunt API must not be used for commercial purposes. If you would like to use it for your business, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Done building? Get featured!
We’re excited to see what all you creative folks build and happy to feature your product on the site. Contact us at email@example.com with its name, a couple sentence description, and link to the project.
Do I have to attribute Product Hunt?
We kindly ask that you include attribution in your project, linking back to Product Hunt. We’d also appreciate those that include a Product Hunt logo (it’s helpful for us!).
You can download the goodies here.
Are there any other ways to do Product Hunt Integrations?
Yes! There is quite a bunch of third party APIs. Blazin' fast fulltext search, SDKs with callbacks for real-time like interaction, web-hooks, etc etc. Go here for the full list.
Btw there is also a lot of Open Source software out there. Take a look. Maybe there is something you can reuse.
If you have any more questions, feedback, ideas or problems don’t hesitate to contact us! Also, let us know what you’re working on! Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.